Dispute Resolution Associates / Construction / Forensics / Insurance – Johannesburg
Our client, an international law firm with one of the largest dispute resolution teams in the world is looking for Dispute Resolution Associates / Construction / Forensics / Insurance to join their team in Johannesburg. Their lawyers are experienced in resolving large and complex international disputes in every major jurisdiction and across all dispute resolution platforms. They have long been known for their pre-eminent litigation practice but are also one of the few firms able to offer a truly integrated global arbitration offering. Their Alternative Dispute Resolution is an integral part of their approach, and they regularly resolve disputes through mediation, adjudication and bespoke processes. Their depth of industry knowledge across a diverse range of sectors enables them to provide commercial, business ready advice, and their ability to collaborate between offices enables them to give 24-hour attention to time sensitive matters.
Key internal relationships:
Supervising lawyer, other group partners, solicitors/associates, trainees/graduate solicitors, paralegals, secretarial staff
Key external relationships:
Clients, peers, contacts, other firms and professions (e.g. financial advisers, intermediaries, experts and local lawyers)
Directors and Senior Associate
- The candidate will deliver excellent client service and manage and deliver discrete pieces of legal work.
- Make an effective contribution to the firm’s work by aiming to meet and exceed target hours.
- Build a solid foundation of commercial and legal expertise within a chosen area of law and strengthen relationships with clients, frequently acting as a direct point of contact.
- Be responsible for some management and delegation of work to and support of junior colleagues.
This role will entail a range of contentious, general advisory and transactional litigation work locally and internationally. Experience in the following areas would be advantageous:
- Commercial Litigation: ability to understand court processes and advise on a matter
- International and/or local Arbitration and Mediation
- Forensics and investigations experience
- Construction law litigation: ability to work on high profiled and complex projects
- Solid legal drafting and research skills
- Manage work to support optimal utilisation; assist senior lawyers as required, acting as lead lawyer, where appropriate; delegate and provide feedback to juniors and communicate progress on tasks to supervisor and team members, consulting and offering solutions on difficult technical client issues; and manage the billing process as appropriate.
- Manage, develop and strengthen client relationships through anticipating client needs and expectations; and provide prompt responses and updates on progress.
- Support the firm and others - establish effective relationships with individuals and groups, across the global network; uphold the firm’s values; contribute to the firm’s initiatives (e.g. corporate social responsibility and diversity and inclusion activities); mentor and support juniors; raise profile by being involved with external bodies and supporting and attending marketing/industry events; and assist with internal training and preparation of legal precedents.
- Comply with risk requirements, firm policies and all relevant professional responsibilities and legislation and contribute to billing, engagement, and client acceptance processes.
Qualifications, skills, and experience:
- Qualified/admitted SA/international legal practitioner with 2-3 years PQE in Dispute Resolution
- Solid knowledge of chosen area of law and industry sector(s)
- Strong legal skills, including drafting, negotiation, and project management skills; foundation level people management and business development skills
- Good understanding of law firm profitability and key drivers for financial efficiency; and ability to help manage costs and budgets
- Personal leadership: takes initiative, embraces challenge, and brings energy and drive to their work
- Technical capability: seeks opportunities to grow and develop to deliver value for the firm’s clients
- Collaborates with others: works as a team player, learns from and supports others
- Plans and delivers outcomes: operates as an effective legal project manager
- Enhances the client experience: builds relationships and innovates for the firm’s future
- Contributes to building the firm: builds relationships and innovates for the firm’s future
Diversity and inclusion:
Our client aims to have a diverse, innovative culture where high performance, client focus and highly engaged people are their differentiator and where they celebrate the uniqueness of their people. Their firm is made up of people with a range of experience and backgrounds, and they strive to ensure that their inclusive environment means that their people feel valued and able to perform at their best by being their authentic selves at work. They know that their future success not only depends on being innovative and progressive in the changing legal market but, most importantly, on their people feeling engaged. They understand that their people have commitments and personal interests outside of work and they strive to create an agile working environment based on mutual trust and respect, in which people can perform at their best whilst maintaining sustainable balance across their work and non-work lives.
Our client also recognizes that the success of their business and their clients relies on the skills, knowledge and ideas of all their people. Their environment is one in which high performance is expected, in return, they will provide you with rewards and opportunities tailored to your personal and professional goals.
Brought to You by AGC Recruitment